Now in its 23rd year, Fantasy In Lights® continues to be the most incredible holiday light show in the South. Large-than-life lighted scenes, music, a 22,000–square-foot Christmas Village, holiday décor and more make this one of those special experiences you’ll always treasure.
1. Fantasy In Lights® opened in 1992 with five scenes. Since then, it has grown to include more than a dozen lighted scenes with music and many with animation.
2. The total show includes 8,000,000 lights. This is equivalent to the number of lights on 266,666 standard 6-foot tall Christmas Trees.
3. To make music an integral part of each scene, speakers are used.
4. It takes a lot of electricity to keep the lights burning. To deliver that electricity they use 3,500 extension cords.
5. To provide sound and power to all the scenes, they use more than 32 miles of cable.
6. 12 million cable tires hold all the cables in place.
7. Three of the scenes are controlled with digital show controls, just like those used in Broadway productions.
8. If you connected all of the light strings used in Fantasy In Lights®, they would stretch 731 miles! That means you could outline the state of South Carolina with them or stretch them from Callaway to Baltimore, Maryland!
9. It takes 3,900 man-hours to install Fantasy In Lights®, 1,780 man-hours to maintain it during the duration the show, and 1,020 man-hours to disassemble it.
10. It takes six weeks to install the entire show. Each scene takes three to four days to install.
11. The newest scene, Enchanted Rainbow Forest, has 410 controlled images, this has almost three time the number of images used in The Twelve Days of Christmas.
12. 99% of the frames used in Fantasy In Lights® are custom designed and built just for Callaway.
13. To turn on the show, more than 1,000 switches have to be flipped every night. It takes two workers at least 45 minutes to turn on all of them. Then, it takes another 45 minutes to turn all 1,000 switches off at the end of the night.
14. Each scene receives a major overhaul every three to four years. This process includes requiring and restringing with new lights.
15. In January, Fantasy In Lights® is stored in a 6,500-square-foot warehouse where it remains until the elves visit us again in the fall to begin another year of the show!